Juicy by Notorious B.I.G aka Biggie Smalls

The song I chose to speak to you about is Juicy by Notorious B.I.G. This song was released on august 8th 1994 on Bad boy/Arista record label. Producers are Poke of Trackmaster and Sean puffy Combs, the melody is sampled from Tmune’s song Juicy Fruit. Chorus of the song is sung by the group Total.
Juicy starts off with a hi-hat and a low key piano in the background you hear the R&B group Total singing softly and Notorious starts talking about how his teachers thought he wouldn’t amount to anything and how people in his building would call the police while he was hustling to make sure he made money to feed his daughter. His mood in this song is calm and subliminal the whole way through while setting a plateau of visuals for people to see how he made the transition from where he was to where he is now. When the base guitar and drums starts to play Notorious starts telling you how he first was dreaming of leaving this horrible life that he was living. Notorious was selling drugs and was a common thief so he could get by in life. Biggie has a monotone voice while he is saying his lyrics he’s trying to make people have a clear understanding of the pain and struggle that he and other black men endured coming up in society. The chorus of the song says this “You know very well who you are
don’t let em hold you down, reach for the stars. You had a goal, but not that many ’cause you’re the only one I’ll give you good and plenty”. The chorus is telling him that he knows what he can do and that if he had a goal that he can achieve it and to believe in himself. Through his lyrics Notorious explains how rapping has changed his life for the better. Due to his success in the music industry he no longer has to resort to robbing people and selling drugs. Biggie used his mind and music as an outlet to remove himself from the harsh environment that he was exposed to. Now he has money to spend with no problem and he can take care of his family and friends without worrying about anything. He made it out of the ghetto into a better community. Now he is living in a lap of luxury.
This song is important to the music industry because it help build hip hop to another level. Hip hop was starting to make moves in the country and was making a buzz in the music industry. Not too many people who were rapping were actually making money off the deals that they had. When this song came out Notorious showed people that rapping can change your life and get you out of the bad living and money situation that you are in. Juicy also inspired young minority youth into doing things that their mind was set on to do that was positive. Don’t pay any mind to the nay sayers they just trying to hold you back. If you believe in yourself you can do anything your mind wants. This song inspired many people to do well with their lives. People seen that Notorious came from nothing and raised up to do something positive with his life and he told others that they can do it as well. Juicy was just a positive song all around it made people believe that they can achieve it made you feel good. As Juicy became more popular Notorious fan base grew a lot more he is seen as one of the best rappers who ever lived. His positive song Juicy open doors for many more rappers which helped the hip hop industry to receive such a wide range of artist.

If you never heard the song and want to hear it here’s the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvWkc8BGms

4 Comments so far

1.   4everyoung on October 4th, 2010

I remember the first time I heard “Juicy” by Biggy Smalls. I believe I was in the 6th grade and I remember thinking, “Why would anyone want to hustle when they know that the consequences could mean going to jail for a long time – maybe even the rest of their life?” Now much older and a lot wiser, I now look at the word “hustle” in another fashion. Back then I only associated the word “hustle” and selling drugs in the same sentence. I see that’s far from the truth, because if that’s the case then everybody sells drugs, which isn’t a fact. I’m a hustler and I’ve NEVER SOLD DRUGS. I’m a hustler because I’m a go getter and to me that’s what a hustler stands for. In my eyes a hustler is someone who wants better for themselves, their future, and sometimes even their family who understands when there is a will there is a way. I’m not bragging, but because I want to become financially stable, I’ve decided to work and go to school full time. Now, I’m not implying that I’m the first nor the last to do such a thing, I’m just giving the example that a hustler mentality indeed has a positive connotation, and I’m a hustler who hustles because I want and will have a bright and prosperous future.

2.   Amy Herzog on October 15th, 2010

Interesting thread– Adrianne’s post makes it very clear that the term “hustle” has undergone a massive transformation, in no small part, I think, due to the influence of artists like Biggie. The entire “gangsta” movement in the 1990s transformed negative stereotypes regarding dealing, violence, and other activity normally cast in a negative light, and normally associated with urban communities. What had been seen as blight within minority communities in the cities was recast as a parallel for the struggle to improve oneself and care for one’s family– a new kind of American Dream.

The question we might ask ourselves is how the kinds of stories told in songs like “Juicy” are performances, with artist using music and imagery to create public personae that are highly profitable. Do some draw upon stereotypes in creating their image, and if so, are there any issues of concern to think about?

3.   Brandon Colker on January 24th, 2015

Brandon Colker

4.   Do I Need Creatine To Build Muscle on September 20th, 2015

Do I Need Creatine To Build Muscle