Millard Pg. 285-295 perfecting studio recording

I never paid attention to how much effort it would take to make a recording. I always thought that there were multiple microphones while songs were being recorded. But I learned that in the beginning of song recording they use to only use one mic and when using multiple mics was introduced it took a while for the concept to catch on. When the companies finally caught on to multiple mics they did something smart and used a process call leakage which help make sure that the mics didn’t pick up other musicians. I would wonder why it would take studios so long to follow this trend because they knew that multiple mic trend had a better sound when recorded. I agree with Millard when he mentions there is a huge difference between recorded records and live performance records that’s recorded. Live performance in my opinion is always better cause you get the true essence of the way they artist is trying to sing their song.
The tape recorder seemed like it was a simple object to use. It made editing songs a lot easier for people. The tape recorder that Millard talks about seems a lot more primitive then the ones we have now which they are. But with tape recording it made it possible for dubbing to be done. I never knew what A&R letters meaning, but I did know what the person did though. A&R reps do find a lot of artist who do become stars. Studios were learning knew recording techniques most major recording studios still used disc instead of tape to record but as time progress tape recordings became popular with musicians. It was an important change in recording studios cultural because musicians, producers and engineers were becoming equals.

No Comment